Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My journey


We all are on a journey in this life. Our journeys shape us individuals. Reflection on our past helps us understand the importance of the decisions we make in the present. There are many facets of my own life that have led me to the decision to become an educator. It is my goal to become an educator who possesses an abundance of knowledge that is balanced and well-rounded.

As a young child, I always admired my teachers and had a desire to become a teacher myself. Fresh out of high school, I decided to take early education courses at my local community college. This would enable me to teach preschool while earning a teaching credential. However, life circumstances at that point in time did not allow me to continue the pursuit of my credential. As a result, I taught preschool for ten years. In 2001, I was given the opportunity to teach elementary school at a private school without having a credential. I taught first grade for four years. At that point, I knew that this was my calling in life. However, being a working mother and a wife allowed no extra time to attend classes.

Four years ago, I decided to stop teaching momentarily so that I could stay home with my children and focus on my education. I started taking general education courses at Mt. San Jacinto College. I transferred to National University two years ago. I am currently working on obtaining my BA in Interdisciplinary Studies while earning my multiple subject teaching credential. I also have a passion for nutrition and fitness. It is my aspiration to take courses in these areas as well.

I decided to major in interdisciplinary studies so that I can learn a way of looking at life from many different perspectives. I feel that this degree will be beneficial to me both personally and professionally. Personally, I will obtain the knowledge to tackle life’s obstacles by taking an interdisciplinary approach. Professionally, having this degree will allow me to assist my future students in learning and thinking critically. It will help me develop a curriculum that can integrate all areas of study in a balanced and well-rounded manner. I also hope to integrate my knowledge and experience with health and nutrition into the classroom. This will enable me to touch children’s lives in many different ways.

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie:

    This is beautifully written, and I like your addition of the picture of two roads diverging in a wood. Great job!

    ReplyDelete