Wednesday, February 17, 2010

MLA or APA

I have used MLA format a large majority of my papers at National University. I have used APA format on a few papers and I prefer it over MLA because I feel it looks very professional. When my husband was working on his thesis, he had to use APA. Now that he is a professor himself, he is very familiar with APA format and always showing me the appropriate format for in text citations, references, among other specifics. In the future, I foresee using APA format unless otherwise specified by an instructor.

I think that documentation is vital to research because without it your research would lack credibility and it is important to go back and review the data to make sure it is accurate. For example, British researchers recently reviewed a previous study in which they linked autism to childhood vaccines. After reviewing the data, a number of years later, they determined that their initial research was not accurate and there unable to find a link.
I find that documenting specific statistics is an easy task. I find it more difficult to document more subjective information. In general, the format for the works cited or reference page can prove to be a bit difficult because of the tediousness involved.

I have often found that the following website is very useful when formatting your paper in APA or MLA format.
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie:

    Thanks for your discussion, and great job working current events into your assignment. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete